Hip Extension Exercise
Strengthens buttock and lower-back muscles.
- Stand 12 to 18 inches from a table or chair, feet slightly apart.
- Bend forward at hips at about 45-degree angle; hold onto a table or chair for balance.
- Slowly lift one leg straight backwards without bending your knee, pointing your toes, or bending your upper body any farther forward.
- Hold position for 1 second.
- Slowly lower leg. Pause.
- Repeat with other leg.
- Alternate legs until you have done 8 to 15 repetitions with each leg.
- Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.
Add ankle weights when you are ready.