Spring cleaning? Check your medicine cabinet.
April 15th is National Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day! It’s a good day to throw away any old, expired, or unused medicine.
Here are some safe ways to do it:
- Follow the label’s instructions.
- Don’t flush medicine in the toilet unless the label says to.
- If the label has no instructions, put the medicine in a non-see-through container. Mark through the label. Mix it with yucky things like dirt, coffee grounds, or kitty litter. Throw it away.
- Take unused medicine to a safe place like a pharmacy. Use the AWARE Rx Drug Disposal Locator Tool to find a place.
- Find a Drug Enforcement Administration event to help you safely throw away medicine.
More tips to stay safe:
- Keep medicine away from kids and pets.
- Store medicine in a safe place.
- Don’t share or take medicine that belongs to someone else.
If you have any questions about throwing away your medicine, talk to your pharmacist or doctor.
This site is for educational purposes only. Talk to your doctor or healthcare provider before making any decisions about your health.