(If your shoulders aren't flexible enough to do this exercise, see alternative "Dip" exercise.)
Strengthens muscles in back of upper arm. Keep supporting your arm with your hand throughout the exercise.
- Sit in chair with your back supported by back of chair.
- Keep feet flat on floor even with shoulders.
- Hold a weight in one hand. Raise that arm straight toward ceiling, palm facing in.
- Support this arm, below elbow, with other hand.
- Slowly bend raised arm at elbow, bringing hand weight toward same shoulder.
- Slowly straighten arm toward ceiling.
- Hold position for 1 second.
- Slowly bend arm toward shoulder again. Pause.
- Repeat the bending and straightening until you have done the exercise 8 to 15 times.
- Repeat 8 to 15 times with your other arm.
- Rest; then do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.