Double Berry Pie
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- ½ cup & 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 16-oz can tart pitted cherries with liquid or 12-oz bag frozen raspberries
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp vanilla or ¼ tsp almond extract
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Follow package directions for bringing pie crust to room temperature in the microwave.
- Place pie crust on a nonstick baking sheet. Using a fork, pierce the pie crust in several places to prevent puffing and bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ tsp cinnamon with 1 tbsp sugar and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place cherries and liquid, blueberries, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, and ¼ tsp cinnamon in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Gently stir with a rubber spatula until cornstarch completely dissolves. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Continue to boil 1-2 minutes or until thickened, scraping bottom and sides of the skillet. Remove from heat and stir in extract.
- Remove pie crust, coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place crust on top of fruit in skillet to serve.
Serving size: 1 piece
| Calories || 177 |
| Calories from Fat || 52 |
| Total Fat || 6 g |
| Saturated Fat || 2 g |
| Cholesterol || 4 mg |
| Sodium || 83 mg |
| Total Carbohydrate || 31 g |
| Dietary Fiber || 1 g |
| Sugars || 16 g |
| Protein || 1 g |
Recipe courtesy of: Last Minute Meals for People with Diabetes