17. November 2011 04:49
The holidays can be a challenge for people with diabetes and the stress can be too much with all the activities going on. You are probably preparing for entertaining, family visits, buying gifts and parties. Besides all of this, you are working full time, therefore, diabetes care is put on the back burner.
Here are some tips to plan for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday season:
- Plan your schedule, make a list of gifts to purchase and do some shopping online
- Always carry glucose tablets and your blood glucose meter in your car, purse or pocket
- Carry a healthy snack like nuts, a small apple with cubes of cheese or peanut butter and crackers instead of eating in the food court
- Keep your exercise schedule, it can reduce stress
- Prepare your traditional holiday food with healthier ingredients
- Bring a pre-mixed light alcoholic drink for fewer carbohydrates. Follow the American Diabetes Association alcohol guidelines for women 1 oz. and men 2 oz. per day.
- When traveling, get all prescription medication (insulin/pills) filled ahead of time. Take syringes, lancets, test strips, pump supplies and batteries
Enjoy your holiday season while effectively still managing your diabetes!
Do you have any tips for the holiday season?